Sunday, December 21, 2014

Long awaited sandwich

It has been about 2 yrs. since the last time a large quilt top got basted.  After assembling all my items needed and checking on Ashes (she was fast asleep) ....
 .... I got busy pin basting this top until Miss Ashes had to come see what was going on. 
It feels so good to have a quilt ready for machine quilting.  There are a few more tops that will get sandwiched for machine or hand quilting.  It is time.  With 23 tops waiting in queue, the time has come to tackle them.

Have a great day! 

Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Scrappy Garden

With Xmas only a few weeks away, I need to start finishing up a few gifts.  They can't be shown right now .... but here is something new that I've been working on since the beginning of December:

The progress has been amazing.  Thanks to my stash, it has been a blast going through and pulling fabrics out of bins.
The more pieces got made and pinned onto my design wall, the more I wanted to just work on this project.

 Just a few more pieces to be added and then this will be 1/4 of the quilt (queen size).
Just one patch makes up this triangle.  It is known as Colonial Garden.  My quilt will be called "A Scrappy Garden".  To get a good flow of colour throughout, a dark, medium and light value fabrics are used for each triangle section.  Simple as that.
My triangle is made using the EPP (English Paper Piecing) method, but only three sides are sewn together by hand.
 Below are two triangles sewn together by machine with the seams pressed open.
This new project brings my EPP projects on the go to number three. My other projects are my Apple Core and Split Apple Core.  Oh joyful days are ahead for me!!

There will be a fourth EPP project ... but not just yet.  Have you seen this on:  http://faeriesandfibres.blogspot.ca/p/patterns.html.  Click onto
81 – The Giant Monstrosity by Karen H 2014 (just below the photo) and it will bring you to a link for her pattern that she has made for free.  To me, Karen is The Hexie Queen and she has offered tutorials on how to do different hexagons and stars!  You really need to check out her blog.

Have a great day!

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Can't cut this up!

I'm doing something totally different .....  I just can't cut up this piece of fabric.  The fabric design is perfect as is.  So, here is a different version of a quilt. 
Backing needs to get made and then this top can be sandwiched and quilted up.

Have a great day!

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Second finish

This top was originally finished in August 2010 ..... put on a shelf because something just didn't fit right.

Another border was needed and it finally got put on.

Now, it will get hung for the holidays and I will enjoy it even more!

Have a great day!

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Bumper Crop

This UFO has come together very quickly in the last few months.  Why ever did I wait so long????   Oh well, at least it has finally come to this stage and that is a good thing.

Now that the vines have been drawn on, I will be spending some time with embroidery thread and needle to finish this top.  While looking at this photo, I just realized that the grooves on the pumpkins need to be drawn on and embroidered as well.
Have a great day!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

That's better!

All the triangles are now basted onto the borders of my Kaleidoscope and the borders have been sewn back on.  I'm so much happier with the final look.   All I can say is "wow"!  What a huge difference.  :o)

So, now all those triangles need to be appliqued onto the border and the top will be finished. 
Have a great day!

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Just can't leave it alone ...

When I took my Kaleidoscope top to my day guild meeting this week for show and tell, I looked at all the other Kaleidoscope tops and quilts and my border was really, really plain.

Once home, the top went back up on my design wall and I started playing with ideas for the border.

My first thought didn't go over well with DH.  He simply didn't like it.  No photo was taken as it was no longer a contender.

So, playing around again, the triangles was another idea that we both liked:
 Once the triangles were more refined, they were placed around the border.
This will be the final look.  More triangles need to be added to complete the border.  What a huge difference bits of scrap leftover strips can make!
 I do love playing the "what if" game.

Have a great day!